Tuesday, May 17, 2011

cheer on

my church community did a series not too long ago on the first part of hebrews 12.

it talks about a "great cloud of witnesses" cheering us on. it follows hebrews 11, which talks about all of these people who are examples of having good faith. people who were broken in some profound ways. people who faced all kinds of challenges. people like me. people like you.

one of the conversations we had as a community was about what it means to be cheered on. there was a comparison of a crowd in a stadium, cheering someone on as they are finishing a race. it sounded exciting and encouraging. it sounded inspiring and hopeful.

it sounded good.

last night i went to a major league baseball game for the first time. the stadium was at least half empty, but the size of it all was overwhelming.

it was my first time to attend a major sporting event, and i honestly didn't expect much of it. baseball lost its luster for me a while back ago, even though i loved it so much as a kid, i collected players' cards. i still have all of them.

the pre-game was somewhat entertaining:
kids running in size 16 shoes, racing around the bases, putting on the mariner's uniform.
2 people who threw first pitches.
intros of the teams.
a group sang the star spangled banner.

i was having a decent time, laughing, enjoying people watching.

the home team pitcher struck out all of the opposing team. there were a few hits from the home team.

i was struck by the quiet in between noise. no commentary, like there is on t.v.

i was full of processing. of the game. of my surroundings. of my own feelings and thoughts and what is going on in my life. and in the lives of the friends i was with.

then something happened.

someone hit the ball, and someone else ran home to increasing cheers from the crowd.

the umpire gave the safe signal.

from under me, behind me, in front of me, on my left, on my right, and above me...

energy.

the crowd erupted, and i could literally feel vibrations from the noise, the applause, the excitement.

the cheering on.

tears immediately hit my eyes. and i felt my mouth open. i did my best to take it all in. to remember it. to build an altar here, as one of my friends would say, to remember when and what has been spoken to us.

cheering on.
great cloud.
witnesses.

bigger and more inspiring, exciting, encouraging, hopeful, and better than i could ever imagine.

i thought about how much we all need that. to be supported and loved and cheered on.

our relationships need support and encouragement.

our supporters need encouragement and support from us.

it saddened me when i thought about the lack of support for gay marriages and gay rights in many areas of the world. and the lack of support in many of our social circles and families.

but

we are not alone or forgotten.

there are people who offer support and affirmation and love.


my gay and lesbian and bisexual and transgendered and questioning friends...
we are cheered on.

my supportive and affirming straight friends,
you are cheered on.

to my friends who are unsure of what you think and unsure of how supportive or affirming you are,
you are cheered on.

and we cheer each other on.
and those who went before us cheer us on.
and the Maker of those and us and of the earth and the sky and the wonders beyond it
cheers us on.
Love loves' self cheers us on.

and so we cheer for love
and Love
and life
and hope
and redemption
and reconciliation

and love
and love!
and Love!
and LOVE!

and love. wins. wins.
Wins.
WINS.

and
we
can be
part
of
it
and
cheer
and
run
and
hope
and
believe
and
hallelujah!

LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment